// LastStandGamers - SciFi Games Concepts & Ideas

When you want to talk about sci-fi books, movie, TV-show, or the last game you played.
Nexusdog
Pioneer

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Might be of interest?

Sci Fi Game Concepts & Ideas (Discussion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W89j4Smmatw
I will behave

Nexusdog
Pioneer

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:00 pm

One of the points they raised was regarding the building element of games. Either gather resources, then build on the fly, or build in a shipyard, holodeck, hanger or similar first, so you can tweak as you go along without the outside world interfering with your work.

I'll go with option B, building in a place where I'm not interrupted by the outside world.

Yes, I'm an introvert. :-)
I will behave

Ben
Pioneer

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 pm

I think option B makes the most sense. It reminds me a lot of 'Kinetic Void' - an early access title from a few years ago. You were free to build your ship - but you did it inside of a hangar, before you had launched.

But I think option B isn't suitable for _everything_. If you're building some space station, or other mega structure / larger ship - it _should_ be done out in the open, and it _should_ take you a long time to do it.

Think of it like building a Tie Fighter - could happen in a hanger inside of a Star Destroyer. But the Star Destroyer itself is probably built 'in space' and not necessarily 'in a hangar'
P E T C H A - K O H U R

Nexusdog
Pioneer

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:59 am

Ben wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 pm
I think option B makes the most sense. It reminds me a lot of 'Kinetic Void' - an early access title from a few years ago. You were free to build your ship - but you did it inside of a hangar, before you had launched.

But I think option B isn't suitable for _everything_. If you're building some space station, or other mega structure / larger ship - it _should_ be done out in the open, and it _should_ take you a long time to do it.

Think of it like building a Tie Fighter - could happen in a hanger inside of a Star Destroyer. But the Star Destroyer itself is probably built 'in space' and not necessarily 'in a hangar'
That's a good point, I wish I could construct something sensible to say but right now my brain is mush. :-)
I will behave

Harlekin
Pioneer

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Even a space station or capital ship are constructed on a system without anyone interfering and only if the plans are finalized built in open space. Building could be an automatic process while you overwatch it, and have time to man a few turrets and/or fire a few weapon batteries to get rid off annoying people interfering.