// Other Games Wherein You Build Stuff

When you want to talk about sci-fi books, movie, TV-show, or the last game you played.
Sofa
Entrepreneur

Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:53 pm

This game isn't out yet, but there's similar stuff that can occupy us in the meantime that involve building stuff and often doing things with it. Please share such stuff here.

Here's some stuff of mine to start with.
Avorion - Security cutter, miner

Space Engineers - First vaguely-successful attempt at a warship since 2013, desert scavenger town

From the Depths - Seaplane tender, dreadnought battleship and destroyer, broadside ironclad

Garry's Mod (using Armored Combat Framework) - Dive bomber, light tank, 1940s/1950s style luxury sedan
"If you die at Waffle House, you die in real life" -Anonymous

Nexusdog
Pioneer

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Those Avorion ships look interesting, was the Chris Foss vibe intentional? Any more pics?
I will behave

Sofa
Entrepreneur

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Nexusdog wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:08 pm
Those Avorion ships look interesting, was the Chris Foss vibe intentional? Any more pics?
Rob Cunningham, so Foss by extension.

also yeah more pictures here:

Security Cutter

Miner

Le minaw
Website developer

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:31 pm

This little miner is definitively really cool !

Nexusdog
Pioneer

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:09 am

Nice work, Sofa, those are some exceptional ships - I hope we get to see a lot more of your talent.

Love the character you've given your ships, so refreshing to see new sources of inspiration showing up now.

I'm a fan of Peter Elson, Simon Stålenhag & Jake Parkers work. I grew up with the Terran Trade Authority books, where I first saw Peter Elsons creations and it blew me away.

An all time favourite of mine, from Babel 17; the Stellar Cow

I will behave

Nexusdog
Pioneer

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:13 am

@Sofa

How comfortable are you with Skywanderers being able to provide the tools to create what you want, based on what you've seen so far? What about a scale? That was the one thing I was unable to figure out with your creations, although cockpit windows were a clue.
I will behave

Sofa
Entrepreneur

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Nexusdog wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:13 am
@Sofa

How comfortable are you with Skywanderers being able to provide the tools to create what you want, based on what you've seen so far? What about a scale? That was the one thing I was unable to figure out with your creations, although cockpit windows were a clue.
Looking forward to it. Got like a million ideas rattling around in my brain but I just know I'm gonna sit down and stare at the screen for like an hour just wracking my brain over where to start.

On scale, Koonschi said 1 Avorion unit is 10 meters, so a 2 meter cube gives you something roughly people-sized, so I just use that. But apparently one person alone needs ten cubic meters of living space so that makes "cozy" ships tricky.

Nexusdog
Pioneer

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 pm

On scale, Koonschi said 1 Avorion unit is 10 meters, so a 2 meter cube gives you something roughly people-sized, so I just use that. But apparently one person alone needs ten cubic meters of living space so that makes "cozy" ships tricky.
I've been pondering over the scale of those Avorion ships you created. Foss evokes large vessels - for the most part, so that's the vibe I get when looking at your designs. So my brain is having a hard time grasping the scale intended or even how big they were in game. From what you've said though, are you more comfortable with smaller craft of the workhorse variety?
I will behave

Sofa
Entrepreneur

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Nexusdog wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 pm
I've been pondering over the scale of those Avorion ships you created. Foss evokes large vessels - for the most part, so that's the vibe I get when looking at your designs. So my brain is having a hard time grasping the scale intended or even how big they were in game. From what you've said though, are you more comfortable with smaller craft of the workhorse variety?
I like a small, intimate craft as much as the next guy. But big stuff is fine too as long as it's big for a reason.

Vicomt
Pioneer

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:33 am

The Space Moles cut our teeth with Space engineers, but pretty much none of our ships there were ever published, and eventually SE got too slow/laggy for big builds, so we gave up, and moved on to Empyrion.

In Empyrion, we've been relatively successful in building a nice varied fleet, ranging from our smallest fighters:

*note* the second ship above I'm especially proud of, it's now an official ship in the game - prefab_tier_5a :D

to our largest behemoths:

you can have an explore of our published works here:

Space Moles Planetary Fleet http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =787963578
Space Moles Space Fleet http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =769421515
Just call me Vic ;)

The Space Moles Steam Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/spacemoles