// [Forum][Meta]A suggestion for suggestions

Help us improve the different gameplay of the game. Feel free to give your opinion on the new website too !
PTTG

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:06 pm

In short, your suggestion will be both easier to write and more likely to be implemented if you write about why you want it to be in the game, rather than what exactly you want to have added.

Compare these two suggestions:
A: I want to have proton cannons, nuclear missiles, and electrolasers. Proton cannons do 40 damage per second but ignore shields, nuclear missiles cost 5000 minerals (see mineral subsection) but do 20000 damage, and half of that is blocked by shields. Electrolasers, they do 1 damage per second, but it doubles every second....

B: I think our current weapons aren't very diverse. Also, they feel generic and don't feel like they do much. It would be better if each weapon felt really special and effective when used right. I suggest adding more, and having each gun or whatever have limitations and advantages.

If Duret reads A, he might think some of it sounds interesting, but it doesn't explain why these weapons are better than whatever's already there. After reading B, he might not agree with the exact details of the examples, but he'll know that you, as a player, would like the game more if it had more types of weapon. And, if Duret is working on this and discovers a simple way to solve the same problem (such as modular weapons), then he knows that it's something you'd want.

An exploration of ways to put that idea into practice is reasonable, if there's some specific technical trick you have in mind, but normally you should focus on the problem. Your goal is to make the problem clear.

To put this into practice, I'll demonstrate with a common suggestion, Air Pressure:

I feel that ships would look coolest if there was a good reason to build enclosed areas. Also, when a large ships gets damaged, it would be neat if people could get sucked out of the holes. Third, airlocks are cool, and encourage the player to build complicated door systems with switches and sensors.
Therefore, the system doesn't really need to simulate oxygen in a chamber or total mass of air -- it just needs to know if the inside of the ship is airtight or not, and when that changes.

*Edited to fit tsunamayo's goals.
Last edited by PTTG on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Le minaw
Website developer

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:12 pm

I made this post sticky as I 100% agree.
Thanks.

tsunamayo
Game developer

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 am

Thanks, it is indeed what I am waiting from people feedback, an input more focused on player experience rather than "things" themselves. Those "things" should server a purpose and a bigger picture. I will do a post or a video soon on that as soon as I have the time (but before start of pre-alpha) - I had the same [why | what | how] approach to design and link gameplay elements together.

It is a good post that was starting well, then failed completely by actually suggesting some implementation details! You are actually starting at the right abstraction level, the player experience, then switching to how I should implement that...
Leave that part to me, that is my job to figure this! ;) I mean you can always suggest things if you have ideas on that but this is not what I am waiting from a player contribution - because it is never that simple. For example how are you defining a "skin", and how are you computing it?
Last edited by tsunamayo on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nexusdog
Pioneer

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:05 am

tsunamayo wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 am
Thanks, it is indeed what I am waiting from people feedback, an input for focused on player experience rather than "things" themselves. Those "things" should server a purpose and a bigger picture.
When you make the video, could you explain this a bit more please, Francois? I'm finding it hard to understand, thank you.
I will behave

PTTG

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 pm

I've tweaked the OP so it matches what tsunamayo says a little better, let me know if I have the right idea.

Nexusdog, I'm not him, but my impression is that he's doesn't want suggestions about the way blocks or planets or ships should be. He's looking for ideas about the way players should feel about the game, and parts of the game that aren't currently fun.

To be honest, until everyone gets access to the pre-alpha, there's not going to be much to talk about because one can only imagine so much given the information that's already out.

mortiferum

Mon May 28, 2018 7:43 am

I think of it this way

No "plasma", "proton" or other colorful description. If there will ever be "block" based weapon systems rather than brick based then it will just be a generic "Cannon".

Maybe the only distinction will be "ballistic" and "energy" - IE: Projectiles ammo vs "power" drain from ship.

If people want to call it plasma, proton, potato, they can do so in their RP descriptions.

Copying directly from Starmade (since I think it might be the closest to a building game where "engineering" meant something before they broke it) with minor changes.

Cannon (energy) - ROF/ Damage/ etc modifiable by builder to fill whatever desires they have - - and energy drain can be modified with effects on performance of weapon
Cannon (Projectile) - Same as above without "energy consumption"
Laser Beam - same
Rocket (unguided) - projectile speed, damage, etc
Missile (guided) - same as above + quality of guidance/type of guidance
Pulse (AOE) - N/A

This would cover 99.99% of all sci-fi weapon in existence and stop ultra specific weapon suggestions.

Xxxsquidlover101xxX

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:34 pm

This inspired me to do another post later

Fleet_Admiral_Marcus

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:43 am

Welp, imma start editing my suggestion now.