Before I start implementing what I have in mind, I want to ask you for feedback, what kind of things you would like to see, but also to discuss together on the potential shortcoming of each proposed ideas. When you refer to any other game, please keep in mind that I played none of them and I dont know how they work, so feel free to give us a quick explanation of the system in question so I can understand (I am also curious on what other game are doing to solve that problem).
I will do a separate thread on Fuel only, this thread is more for the following mecanics:
- The energy balance itself: I was going for a classical flux + stock system - as I dont see what else we could do. For example you produce 10 per unit of time, and you can store 100. Then you could overconsume 15 and grind your battery, or spend only 5 and replenish it.
- Energy management: system could be toggled on or off, in order to optimize your energy level depending on the situation. It could yield interesting combat mecanics where you do your best to manage your levels (in the spirit of FTL), potentially with friends.
- Stacking mecanics: I want to give bonus for putting blocks of a familly close to one other (will also work with any block). The downside being that if a single block is destroyed during combat, it will shut down the whole group - so you might have to make multiple stack as a security measure. For the formula I was going to do a standard threshold + logarithmic curve or even an asymptotic curve in order to have the bonus rate of increase slowing down the more block you put.
- Block will have different Tier levels. At first the player will craft low tech and then will progress towards more powerful one. This will be linked to fuel mostly.
- What happen when there is no energy left, and the balance is negative? There are several possibilities: We shut down all systems for a bit, then restart everything: if you produce 10 and consume 20 expect your systems to be up half of the time.
We start to deactivate some systems automatically (with maybe a priority list).
Or we put the power reactor in overload mode, with a potential ship destruction if they get overloaded too long I will add an overheating mecanism when you take damage, it could contribute to overheating. So if you fire your highly energy intensive beam of death too fast, you will destroy your ship
- You guys will ask for linking and such, but I was not going for that. The main reason is that I wanted to have the energy balance logic at the level of the ship, for simplification purpose. I want something simple, I dont see much added value in term of possibility by having to link systems, and it doesnt sounds fun to do for me...
But that dont work well for ground structure (could have a energy distance, and have to use relay) - so I am still hesitating.