// Dual Wield: your take on it!

Here I ask your opinion and feedback on specific aspect of the game, or feature I am working on.
tsunamayo
Game developer

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:37 am

Okay so I was still not statisfied with the whole RMB on an Block/Brick = delete action.

On one side I understand the need and I agree it is very convenient, on the other hand:
  • it is not logical
  • it does not fit well with Paint for example or other upcoming item where two actions is needed.
  • I also wants to map RMB to a more simple line/plane build. I did a test and it is super nice to do it without having to hit CTRL or else.
  • It does not fit well for survival, where you are obviously gonna need some tool to do this.
  • Sometime you delete stuff around by mistake
So I had the idea of simply using dual wield: people that still want to delete fast during a building session could always equip the delete tool in the other hand, and switch quickly to it, either by pressing a key or holding a key (not sure how it works in other game).
Tell me what you think about that, is this something you like in Minecraft and co, and what kind of other usage you see for this (I dont want it to "only" solve that issue, that would be overkill).

Otter
Explorer

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Are you implying RMB would go from 'Delete Block' to 'Whatever Tool Function You Have Equipped in Your Second Hand'?

If so, I think for most kids here — since all they know is a combat-less sandbox mode — all they want is something that's quick and easy. Everything else is secondary.

From a survival-mode perspective I can see RMB being an 'off-hand' action for various tools, but from a sandbox perspective I think some will feel having to switch to this or that, before this action or that action can be done, is going to slow them down. Complicated logic wiring right now is a slog, but deleting things is breezy.

But that's just a rambling thought, I'd like to test the idea before I argue it's cumbersome or not.

PTTG

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Actually I was going to suggest something like a dual-handing approach myself. It's nice to have two tools when building a ship, and it can always emulate the current method by keeping the delete tool in your secondary slot.

A good compliment for sandbox building would be an "undo" button -- even if it's just one step -- to fix small mistakes.

tsunamayo
Game developer

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 am

PTTG wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:29 pm
A good compliment for sandbox building would be an "undo" button -- even if it's just one step -- to fix small mistakes.
Actually there already is, you can CTRL-Z or CTRL-R to redo. It is still a bit buggy and wont be able to restore action (like bulk delete for example)