// Seat: How do you want to exit them?

Here I ask your opinion and feedback on specific aspect of the game, or feature I am working on.
Harlekin
Pioneer

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:48 pm

I get quite often thrown out of the vessel while exiting a seat. setting a default exit direction could change that or worsen it.
Sam_Starfall wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:10 pm
Dumb remark : Many design I've seen leave space above seats. Would it be possible to simply exit by standing atop the seat? Crouched if necessary?
It's the most fail-safe I can think of, it will prevent ejection outside of the ship, it prevent reappearing and push someone else, and it would work with extremely tight space.
I think that could be an option.

Would it be much effort to make a collission check before the exiting takes place? let's say one takes a seat, the seat moves, before exiting the seat checks in which direction on the same plane in a distance of 1 block there is unoccupied space and one exits there and if there is no such space one exits on the seat?

chrisb
Entrepreneur

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:34 am

To exit on/above the seat, is a bad idea.

SW uses 1mtr blocks, two blocks gives a low but very workable headheight, but certainly not enough to exit above the seat. Even three block height would be hard to exit without problems.
Better to do as the dev said in the first post (drag an arrow/marker).

Harlekin
Pioneer

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:21 am

Or how about forcing the input of a direction while exiting a seat? Press F + back for rear, forward for front, jump for above, you get the idea. And without that input one doesn't stand up.

The arrow is fine, but if it is relative to the seat and the seat moves one has the same problem as before, if it isn't relative to the seat the same problems may occure if the seat is moved. A collission check could help, as long as there is space somewhere in a given distance, but i think it's way more complicated to implement, than above measure or the arrow.

chrisb
Entrepreneur

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:56 am

I can see the keybind to a particular exit direction being good.
Not sure how easy or hard that is to implement, but sounds o.k. to me.

xenzombie

Wed May 23, 2018 6:10 am

This is one thing that bugged me forever in Space Engineers. You would end up outside your ship.

Personally I think setting the exit point is good. Perhaps even a marker block to spawn at or such