// New Tool: Delete, Paint, Link

Here I ask your opinion and feedback on specific aspect of the game, or feature I am working on.
Matias Gray
Pioneer

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 am

For the link tool, I would like to be able to make connections not only directly between the bricks, but also laying the line neatly, creating intermediate points for it.
This idea is taken from Garry's mod, where the lines are always seen as wires, and the player is able to pave them neatly along the walls, and choose a different texture for them.

Gadget
Explorer

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:31 am

Matias Gray wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 am
For the link tool, I would like to be able to make connections not only directly between the bricks, but also laying the line neatly, creating intermediate points for it.
This idea is taken from Garry's mod, where the lines are always seen as wires, and the player is able to pave them neatly along the walls, and choose a different texture for them.
That would be very cool - and could add even more visual appeal to logic circuitry.

(Also, if you've every wired up chips in real life on a breadboard or with wirewrap, keeping the wires neat is essential for avoiding mistakes and for easier maintenance.)

Deadlyapples
Pioneer

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:00 pm

I love the idea of essentially painting where the wires go so you can have wires passing through corridors but also as an option a wireless version as well. So you can go with the current system of nodes and links but with the new tool OR go wiremode and place wires where you like so instead of a spiderweb of lines everywhere it can be organised and help with understanding of the logic systems on parts of ships.

ProtoTwi
Pioneer

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Paint tool.

Im ok with paint being a Tool, but we should have a way to set the default color within the tool.

also if you are gonna make it a tool add a feature to help paint larger areas easier.
similar to the multi block building thing we have.

Vicomt
Pioneer

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:06 pm

ProtoTwi wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:05 pm
Paint tool.

Im ok with paint being a Tool, but we should have a way to set the default color within the tool.

also if you are gonna make it a tool add a feature to help paint larger areas easier.
similar to the multi block building thing we have.
Empyrion just implemented a nice paint tool thing - it "sprays" in a cone effectively, (you can selet 3 sizes) - the smallest only affects a single block, the largest affects quite large areas - it also depends on your distance from the object being painted.
Just call me Vic ;)

The Space Moles Steam Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/spacemoles

Vrmithrax
Pioneer

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Rizzo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:00 am
I'm not so sure about all these extra tools for simple features. It really just depends on how many total tools you are looking to implement. For example: if you plan to add mining tools, hand weapons, etc... the tool inventory becomes quickly unfriendly and putting in tool for each function starts to become cumbersome to use. This was an issue I found if you compare other voxel games in the genre:

In Space Engineers you could simply color ships by assigning a paint and using the middle mouse button to paint the ship. In Empyrion, there was a tool. The latter had a lot of tools, and this made that at least half if not all of your hot bar was taken up with tools. The Space Engineers was simpler.
Just covering this part and toolbar fatigue, there are ways the system could be arranged to avoid the clutter. I am a firm believer that in a building type of game, player tools or weapons belong in their own area, and the hotbar should be for parts only. Setting aside another small toolbar for the player tools and items is a better route. Maybe F1-F8 to activate player tools, and the parts hotbars operate as usual? It would serve to keep your necessary tools available for quick use, which can be important once survival mode is implemented.

Example: In another game, I was building away, and had my hotbar set to one of my armor block sets, when I get attacked. Having to quickly try to scroll through my hotbars to find the one with my weapon, then equip my weapon, was more than enough time for me to die of lead poisoning. If I could have only maybe pressed F1 the second I was attacked to draw my weapon, I may have had a fighting chance. If you have a weapon in your holster, you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to draw it quickly.

Fredrik
Pioneer

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm for the paint and link tools, the delete tool (as mentioned) will make it slower to delete stuff, I think.

And with the paint wheel, a literal wheel would be nice, so when you hold down RMB and push the mouse in some direction you select a color, that will be fastest I think, similar to the building orientation. That way the colors will always be where you remember them to be and selecting paints will be much faster and easier.

I'm all for compact building so if the multi link blocks would go away I wouldn't miss them at all. Maybe keep them in as legacy stuff, for a while, but not buildable, so that current ships work until you can rewire them.
Also the link tool could maybe have a built in constant gate, that way you can set a rotor or rail to a specific value without having to go through the extra steps of building a gate and link them up.

As to how to equip these tools, maybe a wheel there too? Separate from the toolbar. Something like, hold down "X" to bring up a wheel that, similar to the paint wheel, you push the mouse to the direction the tool is, and you could make it customizable to include built weapons also.

tsunamayo
Game developer

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:26 am

Fredrik wrote:
I'm for the paint and link tools, the delete tool (as mentioned) will make it slower to delete stuff, I think.
It is not slower - as I give override bindable key to get to delete stuff quickly. You will just have to press SHIFT (or the key you mapped) to get to delete. I am already using SHIFT-LMB 100% of the time.
Fredrik wrote:
And with the paint wheel, a literal wheel would be nice, so when you hold down RMB and push the mouse in some direction you select a color, that will be fastest I think, similar to the building orientation. That way the colors will always be where you remember them to be and selecting paints will be much faster and easier.

Yes this is exactly what I wanted to do, as I dont think the default paint is a feature that is used at a high frequency (compare to changing paint for example). I could always re-assign the default paint to the identity block for example.
Fredrik wrote:
Also the link tool could maybe have a built in constant gate, that way you can set a rotor or rail to a specific value without having to go through the extra steps of building a gate and link them up.

This will be an action possible with the upcoming Quick action wheel. A lot of block/brick will get a setting action to do this kind of things, with pre-built constant or mix.

Mellcor
Corporate Mogul

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:33 am

tsunamayo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:00 am
Mellcor wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:39 am
i honestly dont like the idea on a delete tool (i do like the paint one), the reason being it just means that you will have to switch to something else in your hot bar to remove a block then switch back to the block you were using beforhand, maby in survival but i dont think in creative it is a good idea as it will only slow down building
Do you use LMB or SHIFT-LMB to delete faster?
i use SHIFT-LMB alot but only because it instantly deletes blocks, however i use LMB by itself in delicate areas as u cant undo SHIFT-LMB. i think i know what ur getting at here and saying the delete gun would remove blocks instantly still dose not deal with the issue of having to change to it then back to the block u were placing, wouldnt it be so much simpler if LMB just instantly deleted blocks in creative while being to undo it

JRL101
Pioneer

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 pm

I really like the Link/logic tool idea, there's lots you could do with it like use it to access a blocks UI
maybe integrate it with the wheel interface to change its mode, OR it could be where you select the tools, as a permanent player character feature instead of tools you craft and place in your tools bar.

Maybe each tool could have its own tool bar?
The logic/link tool could have every logic component in its tool bars, with the last slot or two for a custom item maybe.

The paint tool could have all the default colour on one bar (like the blue greys and dark greys, just all the colours of stuff that cant be re-coloured)
One bar for the custom colours, etc. (or custom sections for the wheel)

The delete tool could have some neat functions, like filtering what it deletes, or a selection mode before you delete the blocks, a "paint mode" where you paint the blocks to select them.
It could even have a "replace" function, so you just paint in the replacement block.
Image Image