// New Tool: Delete, Paint, Link

Here I ask your opinion and feedback on specific aspect of the game, or feature I am working on.
Talrey
Entrepreneur

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Otter makes a lot of good points. Hotbar fatigue is a real thing in this game.

Paint Tool:
I really like the idea of a color wheel as long as we can get back to a color easily. Perhaps an eyedropper mode (select the color you're aiming at) or displaying the hex value of the current color? I'd also love a way to increase the brush size when painting large sections of hull, but I can live without that.

Link Tool:
Yes please, this sounds fantastique! The current system is great and I love the simplicity of just linking output to inputs without needing to run wiring everywhere, but being able to see the whole circuit would help immensely in debugging larger circuits. I've grown fond of the dual and quad links, but if you think that removing them would speed up the system then I'm all for their removal. Performance is king.

Delete Tool:
I'm not sure about this one. I like the freedom of just destroying blocks as I please in Creative, and the area-selection for placing and deleting is a lifesaver. I'm fine with an item like that in Survival, because it doesn't make sense to be able to mine large amounts of stone or whatever bare-handed, but having to use an item like that in Creative would be tedious. I'd rather have the occasional accidental deleted block than have to scroll around whenever I make a mistake with a block's rotation - which is quite common!

HadesDeadlyTom
Pioneer

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:08 pm

I think you should look at Scrap Mechanic, they have tools like that(Paint/link), maybe it will give you ideas.

Gmunga5

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:19 pm

I think the ability to pre colour blocks should be kept in some way because having to repaint large ships takes way too long, I would know.

I also think the delete tool could be silly because using LMB while holding any block to destroy stuff seems smarter and more intuitive than having to select a specific tool.

Tomatart
Entrepreneur

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Sofa wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:09 pm
I think the paint and link tools would be very convenient, and would really streamline the building process. However, I prefer the current method of deleting blocks. Adding a tool for it, I think, would slow things down.
I share this same opinion ^

Phoenix84
Explorer

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm in agreement about the color and link tool. I like what you have suggested, tsuna.

However the delete tool not so much.
When I'm working on a build, I don't want to have to switch to a tool to remove a block (I despise radial menus, so I won't be using them).

My biggest issue right now is that the color, link, and delete actions are confusing as they are right now.
I tried to change the color of something, and deleted a bunch of blocks by accident.

Same for figuring out the links.

If you just move the color and linking to tools, delete can be left as is.

My only other suggestion would be to make logic interaction default to left mouse, not right, and make delete right click/right click hold. Using left-click for interactions is intuitive, and how most games work.
Delete should be implemented so it's not easy to accidentally do, but also not lock it behind something that makes deleting a chore. A right-click hold could do that, IMO, even more so if you can only delete while you are holding a block.

This is for creative mode though, for survival, my suggestion would be based on how the survival mechanic would work, and how placing/building blocks would work in survival.
Last edited by Phoenix84 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JRL101
Pioneer

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:33 pm

It all sounds good, but i have a suggestion for the paint tool.
when holding it maybe the scroll wheel cycles colours in the pallet.
But when you hold right click, you can set the colour manually? Or select a pallet colour manually.
Image Image

Sigarr
Pioneer

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:09 pm

I like the suggestion of tools. However in regards to the toolbar fatigue. Implement a system of modes build mode, link mode, etc... Have these assigned to a mode switch key. Once survival is implemented if you are looking for a mechanic where the tools can be upgraded or changed add the mode slots to the inventory. Instead of something in a toolbar you would assign your tool to the proper equipment slot. When you go to the mode it would switch to that tool. This would allow a tiered system in survival without cluttering up the toolbars with different tools. Should be fairly scalable too just add a toolset and a mode.

PTTG

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:45 pm

I really like the idea of tools. I'd probably fill one toolbar with just the tools and use the other toolbars with blocks and bricks.

With that in mind, it might be nice to have an additional toolbar or two.

Dwarf-Lord Pangolin
Corporate Mogul

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:07 pm

The paint tool sounds like a useful change, provided that we still have some mechanism that lets us specify a default color.

The link tool would be a definite improvement all across the board. I find that a lot of the space dedicated to logic on my builds gets put towards dual link bricks to make creations symmetrical, so removing the need for those would be great.

The delete tool would be great. I've accidentally deleted things more times than I can count, and it tends to be logic-stuff or hinges. A delete tool would make sense in survival anyway; I assume tools will be required to interact with blocks.

Giin
Pioneer

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:22 pm

I was wishing for a link tool the other day!