// Quick action wheel

Here I ask your opinion and feedback on specific aspect of the game, or feature I am working on.
Andreas
Pirate

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 pm

I agree that the action wheel in Rust works very well, but you should also keep in mind that in Rust you are not dealing with lots of blocks. It should be made sure that every action on the wheel is one that is only needed on single blocks sometimes. Also, if you make the wheel itself plus all the actions bindable to keys, as others already mentioned, you've got nothing to lose.

StarsintheSky
Explorer

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:33 am

As I recall I found the action wheel in Crysis to feel good. Click and hold middle mouse and move the mouse 1/2" in the direction of your selection. This menu had only 5 options. I've also enjoyed the Witcher 3 radial menu for choosing powers. In my play through I seldom used it more than a couple times during a fight so I would call that "occasional use". Admittedly that was a 3rd person game with little need for precision aiming.

If it is important for my character to be dynamically moving at all times then I think blending a quick gesture into my mouse movement is less disruptive than taking my finger off of the strafe key for 1/2 second. I get really irritated when I have to abandon an axis of movement in order to activate an ability. Of course that begs the question: are we ever expecting to play this like a more traditional action FPS with twitch shots and 360 no-scopes? If not then maybe it's not that important.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, the radial menu is not very different from the block orientation system currently in place! You click and hold with the RMB then drag the mouse in a short path to align the block the way you like. Click, hold, gesture, just like a radial menu.

tsunamayo
Game developer

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:44 am

StarsintheSky wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:33 am
As I recall I found the action wheel in Crysis to feel good. Click and hold middle mouse and move the mouse 1/2" in the direction of your selection. This menu had only 5 options. I've also enjoyed the Witcher 3 radial menu for choosing powers. In my play through I seldom used it more than a couple times during a fight so I would call that "occasional use". Admittedly that was a 3rd person game with little need for precision aiming.
Okay I will check The Witcher I have it ;)

Also to be kept in mind, this are not actions needed in a case of stress due to combat or whatnot: you are not pressured to pick a block, or do a setting of a system. You will be used that in a more chilled out moment, mainly building phase.

chrisb
Entrepreneur

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:29 am

I don't use the wheel, but that's just me. :D